What we do
Denman Island Community School and the Denman Island Community Education Society (DICES) provide a variety of educational, support, and recreational services to children, youth, families, and adults in the community:
- School readiness and Parent and Tot program
- After School programs
- Support for school day program
- Full range of summer programs
- Support for teen students commuting off island
- Support for students enrolled in alternative education programs (e.g. distance education)
- Health and wellness education in cooperation with health care partners
- Support for children and families, in cooperation with other agencies
- Continuing education – life long learning for all ages
- Food Bank and Christmas Hamper program
- Information resources and referrals
- Community Access Program which provides access to the Internet
- Recreation programs
- Support for small business
- Community building events
Denman Island Community School is one of three Community Schools in School District 71, Comox Valley. In addition to the regular “day” program provided by the school district, the Denman Island Community Education Society (DICES) provides staffing and support for community and school programs.
A community school takes some responsibility for, and is responsive to, all members of the local community, of all ages. Regular school students benefit from increased opportunities to enrich school curricula. At the same time, the community at large benefits from increased year-round access to facilities and a range of locally determined programs and support for all members of the community.
In this age of information, “learning communities” are a key component of sustainable community development. Community schools are commonly the heart of successful learning communities.
More Links to community schools, issues and organizations.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments. We look forward to hearing from you!